Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Working to Keep Those Teeth Cleaned

My Works-for-me Wednesday tip is specifically designed for those hard-to-brush-teeth toddlers (or kids in general). Husband and I came up with a little jingle that we began many months ago singing to D-Man as we helped him brush his teeth at night. It goes something like this...

"Brushing our teeth for Bob the Builder (or whomever he chooses to brush for) Bob the Builder, Bob the Builder. Brushing our teeth for Bob the Builder, cause he likes really clean teeth."

Our rule of thumb is to sing this through 3-4 times (normally D-Man wants to change the person he brushes for each time we sing) making us feel like we've somewhat accomplished clean teeth. D-Man has gotten to the point that we ask him each night who he wants to sing about and he tells us. I've also noticed that he sings it a lot to himself in the morning as he and I are brushing our teeth together.

This little song has made our teeth brushing experience so enjoyable. I know many would say that they have sagas day after day as they work to get their kids to brush their teeth. If this is you (or if you are just looking to add a little spice to the daily brushing), I encourage you to try our jingle. I hope that it works for you!

Check out other great tips at Shannon's site!

post signature

6 comments:

Missy said...

We sing Jesus Loves Me :)

Mindy said...

This is a great idea. My toddler hates teeth brushing so its a challenge.

momof2 said...

I just might have to try this with J-girl, considering teeth brushing is a major ordeal around here. I'll insert Elmo or Dora, ofcourse.

Nikki said...

My oldest two love to brush their teeth and will brush as long as I tell them. But my two year old just wants to eat the toothpaste and be done. So I'm constantly trying to distract him while I'm brushing to let me brush just a little more. I think he'll really like this idea of yours. Thanks!

megret7 said...

Cute idea! We sing something similar, something my mom (and my mom's mom) passed down....singing "This is the way we brush our teeth" to the tune of "Mulberry Bush." Isn't it funny the things we carry on?

Anonymous said...

We sing the Farmer in the Dell all the way through to the cheese stands alone! I have no idea how we got stuck on that particular song, but it's the only one my daughter will allow now.