Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pink Taz

I read a post last week at Big Mama's blog about gift giving on Valentine's Day and it made my mind wonder back a few years (cue the music) and remember the gift that Husband gave me the first Valentine's we were officially a couple.

The year was 1995. I was in the 11th grade and was a whole 2 months older than my also 11th grade boyfriend (whom I now lovingly refer to as Husband because he is none other than my Husband).

Yes, high school sweethearts (you all have permission to sigh longingly).

Anyway, Husband and I had only been dating a few months (2 1/2 months to be exact) and I was eagerly anticipating a wonderfully romantic Valentine's Day gift.

Forget the fact that Husband was a macho football player at the time and wouldn't dare do anything to jeopardize that macho standing with his high school buddies. I knew deep down in my 17 year old heart that romantic juices were flowing in him.

The day came and I watched as friend after friend, acquaintence after acquaintence went to pick up their surprises from the office or library. I waited anxiously for the note that gave my teacher permission to send me to pick up my treasures.

Finally, the note came and I was excused to retrieve all that was filling my thoughts with happiness (or so I thought).

As I made my way into the library, I saw hordes and hordes of lovely flowers and such. I made my way from table to table searching for that bouquet that I could call mine.

And then I found it...and what had been in my mind for days wasn't sitting before me.

Instead, I had what looked like these (a pair of them to be exact) but not of the wearing kind. No sir, they were of the helium kind, balloon that is.

They were floating around the library for all the world to see.

But, wait, there is more.

They were accompanied by none other than this, the tasmanian devil (of the helium variety of course).


Nothing says romance and I love you like a pair of pink boots and the tasmanian devil, don't you think?

What did I do, you ask?

I did what any girl who loved her man would do, I picked up my goodies and proceeded back to class and later spit out many words to Husband that made him realize that tasmanian devil and love aren't normally in the same sentence.

He's learned since then, but we remind each other yearly how pink needs to be in the form of flowers and not boots.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! May your day be filled with much love (and hopefully not helium in the form of boots or tasmanian devils!)

post signature

7 comments:

Keepin' It Real said...

How Romantical!!!!!!!!! Nothing says Love like your sweetie put it!

Queen Mother said...

Those pink boots are awesome. That was a cute story.

Queen B said...

I never knew. It explains a lot...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to each of you!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never, ever heard this story!!! My little brother is a wonderful person, but what was he thinking?!? Amy, I am so glad that you stuck around despite his very interesting and, definitely, odd Valentine's gift. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I remember those balloons!! As I was reading the story, it all came back to me!! I'll also have you know that MY first year of marriage when you guys came to a Christmas party at our house, you brought a red boot ornament for the exchange game... MY husband was thrilled to get it and it is still his FAVORITE ornament that hangs on our tree!!

-Sarah

Lisa said...

That is the funniest story...I'm glad you forgave him and it worked out!

Kelly said...

That's so funny!
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I'm SOOOOOO very sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how that must feel. I miscarried almost 2 years ago but it was very quick - like at 5 weeks which is no way the same.
I pray that God will bless you soon with another child!