Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tis the Season to Celebrate the Real Reason

(Knock, Knock)


Oh hello! Welcome to my home. I am so delighted that you could come by and take the tour hosted by BooMama and Julia from Hooked on Houses. What? You love my wreath? Well, me too! Thanks Mrs. K for making it so special for the D-House last year.



May I take your coat? Here's a cup of hot, marshmallow-filled cocoa to warm you as you make your way through.



Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. First and foremost, I love it because of what it represents...my Savior and the miraculous events that surrounded His birth. Second, I love it because of the excitement that I see in my son, D-Man's, eyes as the days unfold. And third, I love it because the decorations make me happy.





That's why I'm glad you stopped by. This way I can show you all the things that are special to me...all the things that make me happy this time of year...and all the things that remind us of the true reason for the season.


My entryway is decked out with much red and green and gold. What? Things look a little blurry? Must be that morning fog rolling in.









The first tree that you are seeing is my "woodsy"tree complete with candy cane sticks and big red berries. And feathers...lots and lots of feathers. Love the feathers!













The second tree you see is my decked to the nines with red and gold and lots of it. What do you think about my topper? And the mantle...so very fun and festive and full of lights. Man, that morning fog is sure causing lots of blurriness today. Please forgive.










Here are five of my nativity scenes that I have displayed. Each one has special meaning.





The first one is the very first nativity scene Husband and I bought for $1 the year we were married. We were poor, poor college students, but knew how important displaying Jesus in the manger was to us.










The second was given to us by my Granny and PaPa several years ago.











The third was the second nativity Husband and I purchased for $5 after being married for a few years.





The fourth was given to D-Man the first year he was born by NaNa RAD and PaPa. We've added to it each year since then and it is so great to bring it out every year and have him be able to see it and touch it and talk about what it means.









The fifth was carved by someone in Africa and so greatly depicts how precious the relationship between Joseph, Mary and Jesus really was.










Here are some other fun splashes of Christmas cheer that I have spread throughout the house.










Oh, let's take a quick peak in the playroom at one of D-Man's trees.








And here's the other one that is in his room.






D-Man has become very partial to snow globes and here's the start of what I'm sure will be a lifelong collection.












And I'd like to end our tour in the kitchen I need to take some cookies out of the oven and would like you to sit a spell and enjoy one.



Isn't the red bird cute at the table?







And here's proof that making those cookies was fun and games.







Aren't the cookies tasty? And the cocoa, oh sure, let me fill your cup again.



I'm so glad you could come by. I hope that my home felt warm, cozy and inviting to you and I invite you to come back everyday of the year to be treated with southern hospitality. Our home is always open, come back again soon.



Enjoy the rest of the Christmas season and don't ever take the Christ out of Christmas.



God bless! Be safe! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!


Oh, and D-Man wanted to say something while laying down on the deck (or he could be on his side due to my lack of camera skills...I prefer the first reason).


45 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Yum, the cookies and cocoa really hit the spot after all the house tours I've been on tonight. :-)

What a nice collection of nativity scenes you have! I enjoyed the entire tour. Your home is lovely. I'm so glad you joined my blog party and showed us around. Thanks you! -Julia

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

Your home looks wonderful for Christmas! Thank you for sharing it with me!

Lisa said...

I love all of the nativity's. It is great that each has a special story.
And the trees! Oh my. You are an awesome tree decorator! I love the feathers, too!

Unknown said...

I love nativities that the kids can play with and touch without worrying.

Amazing tree toppers too.

Hope you get a chance to visit my Northern Ireland blog.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dana and Daisy said...

your wreath is geeorgeous~

Jules from "The Roost" said...

It ALL looked so pretty, Amy. I especially like the nativity sets.

Dena said...

Beautiful trees and decorations. I love all your nativity sets. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love your wreath and your tree toppers! Thanks for letting us tour! Have a blessed holiday!

Erika said...

Beautiful trees! I love the nativities!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

love your decorations. I love the red and gold tree!! I had the same lack of camera skills this weekend. . .I have this adorable video of Kady playing with her baby and jumping, but it's sideways. . .

Heather said...

I love your different nativities. We just started BB's Little People nativity this year.

Ashley said...

Everything is so pretty! Your home looks so unique. Come visit me at my house (blog)!

Melodie Norman Haas said...

My tree is really fat this year so yours looks so skinny but it is gorgeous! I also loved the stacked boxes and the table piece with the red bird! thanks for sharing :)

Christie said...

Thanks for sharing your home and Christmas decorations. I especially love the Christmas wishes from D-man! I had good intentions of participating, but didn't quite get the time this weekend to take pics of our decor. Maybe next year!!!

Heather said...

I love all of your decorations, thank you so much for sharing!! Merry Christmas!!

Lauren said...

It all looks beautiful! I love your trees... Especially the feathers! I am a big fan of feathers! :) Thanks for letting us in!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing you sweet home with us! I love those boxes and that tray!

blessings
mary

Anonymous said...

The home looks wonderful!

Cheryl said...

Your trees are amazing!

Merry Christmas to you too D-Man!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

I do love your wreath! Beautiful home.

His Doorkeeper said...

What a delightful house tour...love all the nativity sets you all have!

But of course, the Best was saved for last! How sweet and "Merry Christmas to everyone" indeed!

Blessings to you and your family!

Unknown said...

I love all those nativity scenes! Thanks for having us!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy, thank you for sharing your home with us! I feel as if I were actually there. How I can't wait to actually come and sit with you over some hot cocoa next Christmas. Your home is beautiful. May Christ bless you this Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah...the nativity that we have up is from Willow Tree...very simple, but with much feeling.

Nise' said...

Wonderful Nativity collection. Thank you for inviting us into your home.

Anonymous said...

Your wreath looks great and I love all your Nativity sets! Thanks for sharing your beautiful home with all of us!
-Kim

Anonymous said...

I love your decorations! I am a feather fanatic so I love your rustic tree! Your tree matches my mantel! Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Jesus!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the tour of your home - it's lovely!

Manuela

Kelly said...

Love all the trees and nativity scenes! Love the wreath on your front door!

Anonymous said...

The wreath on your door is absolutely gorgeous! Merry Christmas!

Keetha Broyles said...

You may only have paid a dollar for your first nativity set, but it is actually my favorite of all of them. There is something about the simple white with the gold (or is it silver - - - hard to tell in a picture) trim that I really like.

Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Love the nativity sets! Thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

Love all the pictures. I so want to buy the Little People Nativity for my kids.

Anne said...

Your home is beautiful; thanks for the tour! And I'm sure that $1 nativity set is so much more special to you because you bought it when you did:). Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Your house is beautiful! I especially love all your nativities - the one from your grandparents is very special. Merry Christmas!

the voice of melody said...

What a lovely house! I like your beautiful snow globes and nativity sets. :)

Becky said...

Beautiful! I love all the nativities and all the history behind them!

jill said...

You have a warm and inviting holiday home. Thanks for sharing your special collections and displays. Merry Christmas!

Carrie said...

WOW! my fav is the african nativity!!!

Karen said...

oh Amy, I love your nativities too! And those boxes are too cool. Actually, the whole house looks great!

Heather said...

Your home looks beautiful! Love all the nativity sets....we have that same Little People Fisher Price set and the boys so enjoy it! Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Lindsey said...

Your holiday decor looks wonderful. I love the start of the snow globe collection for your son. Happy Holidays!

LindaSue said...

Snow globes are such wonderful fun! I always see articles on making them yourself - but I say why take jobs away from folks who are already doing a good job right?! Lots of beautiful festive memories on display - thank you for inviting us in to visit. Merry christmas

KarenW said...

Beautiful! I love the snow globes.

phillips phamily said...

Morning fog! Hilarious! I never thought to blame nature for fuzzy pictures! I love it.

Your trees are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Christmas!