Monday, February 2, 2009

In a moment...

The Ice Storm of 2009 has been ever present on televisions around the state for almost a week now. It is hard to think at this time last week, we were wondering what kind of weather the storm system would bring, and now we've had our answer.



Our area did not get hit very hard (even though our kids missed 2 days of school). Northwest Arkansas (NWA) was another story. Trees down, ice everywhere, power out...you name it, they had it. My best friend in the world, B, and her family got hit very hard. Their neighborhood was one of the hardest if not the hardest hit in the Fayetteville area.



They lost power on Tuesday and hunkered down in the living room/kitchen area of their home to wait out the storm. As the minutes turned into hours turned into days, their house got colder and colder despite the constant fire they had burning. Relief came on Thursday when they were blessed with a generator and have since been keeping warm.



All the talks that the two of us have had since the storm hit have really caused my mind to wander and think about life and how in an instant things change.

One minute life rolls along smoothly and the next it is taking the biggest bumps imaginable. One minute everyone is happy and the very next, all might be sad. One minute there is heat, electricity and all the comforts of today's America and the next minute they are gone.

And so I ponder these things and think about what I am learning from these life changes. What is God teaching me, what is he telling me, what do I need to be hearing. And I've come to the same conclusion every time. It's what B and I talk about in almost every conversation that we have.

God is our provider, He is our shoulder, He is our refuge, He is our strength. It is He who will get us through any happy place or any struggle. He's constant during the changes...we can be so thankful for that.

"The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God, and I will exalt Him." Exodus 15:2.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the same thing Rhonald and I have been talking about. We lost power in the middle of the night for just a few hours and we sat up, holding Cole to keep him warm, praying God would provide what we needed. And when we said "Amen" the power kicked back on! He also provided some time off for Rhonald (not planned of course) where nothing was open, the roads were too bad to travel and we had to stay home with no cable and just be. It was the best gift we have been given in so long!

Queen B said...

It is so funny how life kind of stopped for a week in one respect, but then life went on... I know that makes no sense. If my husband had been told he would go a week without electronic communication, he would have freaked and said it was not possible. The world would stop. But it didn't. Life went on. The world went on. All was fine. The same for me....most of the things that I stuff into my day were impossible. And it was kind of wonderful. Last week really made me reflect and re-prioritize.

You'll need to remind me of that in about 2 weeks...

Jules from "The Roost" said...

You are so right Amy! Good, good reminders!