Friday, March 28, 2008

Cultural Diva

My mother-in-law and I recently started a book club here in our rural, Arkansas town. The book club is part of the Women's ministry at our church with our goal being to bring women together to fellowship and discuss the ins and outs of popular fiction novels written by Christian authors.

How's that for a mission statement? I just made it up. Like right now. As I'm typing. You must all be so impressed.

I digress, sorry. After our second meeting, I'm walking a group of women to the front door, thanking them for attending and wishing them "happy reading" of our latest book. One of the women, turned to me and said, "Thank you for bringing culture to our town." To which I replied, "I'm the most southern girl you know. I was born and raised here. And I'm bringing culture home?"

Apparently so.

Apparently the 11 years we lived away was time enough for me to collect a lot of culture and then return it to my hometown...in the form of a book club.

I can see the headlines now, Hometown Girl and Her Sidekick Mom-in-Law Taking Their Town By a Cultural Storm.

That's all I've got...Enjoy your weekend!




post signature

5 comments:

Queen B said...

You have taken sophistication & culture to a whole new level...

I love that story!!

You certainly bring flare to the town!!

Anonymous said...

I AM IN A BOOK CLUB TOO and it is really fun! God has used it to touch the lives of many women.....including me! Keep up the sophistication!

Barb said...

Any forum, anything that encourages people to actually open a book nowadays is a good thing! I applaud you!

And you are loaded with culture!!

The Buntens said...

I love my book club and am sure you will enjoy this new addition to your life!

I also love the verse in your header - it is one of my favorites!

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words.

I think it's awesome that you have brought culture to your Arkansas town.

Your group sounds like a fun group. I wish we had more women's ministry things in my town.

Blessings,
Julie