Thursday, November 15, 2007

And then there were 5

A few posts ago, I spoke of having a little brother 19 years younger than I. He is the youngest of our clan of 5 (3 girls and 2 boys) and is the only one still left living at home with our parents. He is in the 5th grade, plays every sport (that the parents will let him play at this age) and is the coolest Uncle J on the planet. In my eyes, though, he is so much more.

Let me set the stage for you. I am 18 and a big, bad senior (well, not really that big or that bad) in the final semester of my high school days. I was playing basketball, I had a boyfriend and I was headed off to "The University" in the fall. My life felt complete, well-rounded and as full as I really thought it needed to be. Then, the bomb went off.

I had returned home on Valentine's evening from a basketball game (nothing says love and romance like the sweat and smelly shoes of basketball players). Anyway, this is when mom & dad decided to deliver the news of, "Guess what kids, we are going to have a baby!" And these thoughts ran through my head: Oh my goodness, my friends are going to know what my parents have been doing! Our life feels so complete, how can anything or anyone make it any better? This, God would teach me a few months later.

I went off to begin my freshman year of college as my mom began her 3rd trimester. I was beginning a new chapter in my life and back home my parents were about to embark on a new chapter themselves. There I was staying up late to study (well, maybe to just watch tv and eat) and my parents were back home waiting for a new arrival. I got the call, yes the "I've gone into labor call" about midnight in early October and J-Man (or Uncle J as I'll refer to him also) came into the world late the next morning. By the time I got to see him, he was several hours old and from the first time I laid eyes on him, I felt truly blessed. Blessed to be his big sister, blessed to watch him grow and prosper and blessed that I might have a chance to be a shining example in his life. WOW! I grew up together with my other 3 siblings and didn't really take-in what it was like through their eyes. Then, God blessed me with J-Man and there he let me see each stage of life through his eyes, the eyes of an innocent child.

J-Man is now 11 and still a shining light in our lives. I feel now more than ever the responsiblity I have of being a good example for him. J-Man is not only my little brother, he is also the Uncle to my little D-Man (and to 5 others-4 nephews and 1 niece). To them, Uncle J walks on water, he hung the moon and he loves them so much.

One day I hope to be able to tell J-Man what an impact he made on my life. Someday when we are older and more wiser I hope to sit down with him, tell him about how life was before him and them impress on him that life got so much better after he came along. I love you J-Man!

4 comments:

Queen B said...

You are an awesome sister to an awesome kid! You are both very blessed.

momof2 said...

Wow! You really summed that up EXACTLY how it is to have been blessed by an unexpected sibling. I remember feeling so many of those same things....the hesitation of knowing that things are going to change, the unsuredness of how it is going to impact your life, and the true blessedness of loving someone so much that you can't imagine life without them. How would our lives be without this unexpected surprise? I can't even fathom the thought, except I am 100% certain all of our lives wouldn't be near as full and rewarding.

Queen Mother said...

You are pretty awesome yourself!!!J-Man and D-Man are both lucky guys to have you in their developing lives. You Rock!!

Anonymous said...

As I read your blog today,with the tears rolling down my face,I am reminded once again of the blessing that I get to be a part of each and every day. The age difference only seemed to strenghten the bond that you all have with each other,and what a wonderful thing it is to watch as you all share in each other's lives. Thank you for all the joy you have brought to me and for loving your little J-man like you do. I am so richly blessed.