Monday, December 3, 2007

If looks could keep you out of the church directory...

So, my sister, A-Girl, and I were chatting a few mornings ago about her family's recent church directory photo. You know, the ones where every photo in the directory looks the same, the ones where you get a free 8 x 10 and a directory just for playing and the ones that they take those "extra" shots of you and your family in hopes that you can't tear yourself away from their computer screen before you have written a check out of your child's college fund just to have another 42 snapshots of your darling family.

Anyway, A-Girl and her family (J-Man, Goose-Man, & niece, J-Girl) all get dressed and ready for their photo shoot.


Let me preface all of this my telling you that my niece, J-Girl, has just recently started liking me, her FAVORITE aunt, the one who lovingly adores her. Let me reiterate that last statement for you, she is 18 months old and she just recently started liking me (and that is only when her mom or her NaNa aren't around). If one looks at her wrong, she might give the evil eye or burst out in tears. If one picks her up, she might burst out in tears. And, if one takes something away from her that she shouldn't have, she might give the evil eye and burst into tears. Needless to say, this photographer had his work cut out for him.


Now, don't get me wrong, J-Girl is the most adorable little thing you have ever seen. She sports a fashionable wardrobe daily and when she smiles at you, it melts your heart. But, she is a drama queen through and through.


Anyway, back to the photo shoot. They arrive and start to have their pictures taken.
Apparently, the photographer looked (yes, just looked) at J-Girl which sent her into a tearful sulk that was displayed on her face for almost all of the photos. When my sister began looking at the photos, the photographer stumbled over his words asking her first to pick her favorite one (wasn't one), then asking her to pick the best for the directory (wasn't one) and NEVER, I repeat, NEVER does he ask her which photos she wanted to purchase.

And, it wasn't just J-Girl making these photos so photogenic. Oh no, Goose-Man had a look all his own. Let's call it, the I-just-saw-a-big-brown-bear-playing-my-playstation kind of look. You know what I'm talking about. Eyes as big as saucers and about to pop out of the sockets.


So, the photographer finished up the session by asking my sister if she wanted to have the photos touched up a bit (for a cost of $20). My sister replied by saying something to the effect of she really didn't think they could touch up an entire face, the photographer agreed and they left.


A-Girl's husband commented as they left that their family photo could lead to the demise of the ENTIRE church directory.


Photoshop anyone?

3 comments:

Queen B said...

Yikes. The thought of making so many faces look happy and pretty at one time to be forever published in a book that you know won't be changed for 15 years...fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a photoshoot that you and A-girl were in,and A-girl wouldn't stop crying long enough to get her picture taken(I think she got bad vibes from the photographer),so you went solo that time! You must give them an "A" for effort,though!

momof2 said...

I couldn't have told it better myself! Well put!