Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pancakes and Medicine: Works-for-me

Ok my bloggy friends, I have found the BEST food to help disguise any type of medicine that a child might have to take that is in pill form.

Pancakes.

With syrup.

Lots and lots of syrup.

And milk.

And maybe some bacon.

Oh, I digress, sorry.

Anyway, D-Man recently had to take some medicine that only came in pill form. After 2 tries of him spitting it all over me because of the chalky, nasty flavor, I decided to try giving it to him while eating pancakes.

I cut it into several small pieces, wrapped a bite of syrupy pancake around a piece and he gobbled it right up.

Yes, I did just say gobbled.

Anyway, he never knew and ate every medicine-laden bite. And he smiled. And was happy. And wanted more pancakes.

I would say it was a success!

Score 1 for Mommy!

For other great Works-for-me Wednesday tips, check out all the great links here!

7 comments:

Judy said...

This is a GREAT idea!

We used to do something similar to get my dog to take pills when i was little. We'd wrap them in cheese and she'd swallow them whole.

Not comparing your child to a dog, mind you...just triggered that memory!

I'm remembering the pancakes next time!

Keepin' It Real said...

his uncle was never fond of taking medicine either,and we discovered that if it was the liquid or chewable type that would leave a bad taste in his mouth, hot tamales(the cinnamon flavored candy)did the trick!

Diane Meyer said...

Don't get mad, but I have done this same idea....for the dogs! The pancakes, the syrup. Yes, it works my friend.
Oh, how funny,I just read the other comment about dogs. At least I am not alone in my weirdness. :-)
Diane

Jess said...

This is a great tip and since my girls are older, I can pass this on to my sis-in-law for her tikes, thank you.

Your vacation sounded wonderful and very leisurely...just my kind of trip! Your son is adorable, loved the picture of him with the duck.

And it looks like I need to head over to the C.F. for that dessert. Yum!

Queen B said...

I think that is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Good idea! I would eat almost anything wrapped in pancake and syrup! I may have to have them in the morning after reading your post.

Candace said...

Great idea! I'll have to try it out the next time we need medicine here!