Monday, August 4, 2008

And here's the whole story

So I amused myself all last week by teasing you daily with the what-happened-to-Amy's-fingers pictures. And I'm sure by now you've all figured it out, but (so that I can have a blog post for today) amuse me a bit and read the below and see what you think.

Warning...warning...warning...what you are about to read could contain detailed accounts of lost limbs. Read at your own risk.

The hand situation got underway last Sunday afternoon as I was beginning to mow the lawn. Husband was seeing his patients in the hospital and I was trying to help him out with some of the outside "honey-do's" on his list. I had made 3 passes with the our new push lawnmower when I saw D-Man start running towards me.

Now, let me take a moment to say that this was not my first time to mow the yard. I am typically the one who does it because Husband's job is so demanding,

Anyhoo, D-Man is running towards me as I hear something get caught in the mower. The mower has no side-discharge attachment because it is a mulching mower and I was unsure with the noise that it was making what might shoot out and hit D-Man. So, in a fraction of a second, "mommy instincts" kicked in and I bent down to pull the stick out from the side of the mower (notice I said from the side, not underneath...mommy instincts were also telling me that mommy didn't need to have her hand chopped off beneath the mower). All the while, I've still got my eye on D-Man. And in that fraction of a second, I didn't release the handle, the blade struck two of my fingers and D-Man was safe.

In a fraction of a second...

It took off the tips and part of the fatty tissue of my 2nd and 3rd fingers on my right hand. I was in the ER within minutes of it happening thanks to our great neighbors (who also kept D-Man with them). And God was so merciful and had a surgeon who specializes in hands on call in our small rural hospital.

He was able to immediately assess, x-ray and begin his plan of attack within 30 minutes of the accident. He took a skin graft from underneath my right arm and constructed two new finger-tips for me in a matter of a few hours.

It was painful, oh so very painful, but in a heartbeat, I would do it all over again to keep my sweet D-Man from being injured.

And, I am happy to report that after having my fingers wrapped up for a week to promote the graft taking, we learned yesterday evening that the grafts have attached and are healing up nicely. Praise be to God and God alone!

I still have very limited use of my right hand (this post actually took me an hour and a half to type because I took so many breaks), but in time, the bandages will completely come off, I can wash my own hair again and I can resume my normal activities fully.

God has taught me a lot this week and I plan to share it with you later in the week. He did slow me down this past week and make me mostly realize that a lot of things I had my focus on were not really as important as I had made them out to be.



post signature

7 comments:

Deanne said...

How scary!!!! Thanks be to God for providing what was needed (child care and great doctors)!!! I'm sorry it happened, but it seems that the Lord had other things in mind as well. Hope your bad to 'normal' soon!

Beachy Mimi said...

I'm so thankful you both are okay.

Queen B said...

I am so glad that the grafts worked! I can't wait to read about your lessons learned.

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Thank you Lord...thank you.

Sarah S. said...

Eeeek! How scary! I'm SO glad that everything turned out O.K.!

Lisa said...

I am really interested to read about your lessons learned this week, too. It's amazing what is right in front of us and we are too busy to see it!
I am soooo glad you are on the mend. Hang in there!

Stephanie said...

I think your life lessons are exactly what I need right now..I'm just sorry you had to be in so much pain. I pray you continue to heal well.