Thursday, June 12, 2008

How Does My Garden Grow?

Hello, and welcome to my garden. I don't actually grow anything that is edible, only eye-enjoyable. Landscaping and yard work are hobbies Husband and I have enjoyed doing together since we had our first home.

This is the first true summer that we have been in this house...that is when we weren't worried about the GIGANTIC pile of boxes in the garage that didn't weren't unpacking themselves. Slowly but surely, we are making this yard our own.

So, take the tour...watch your step...and if you see a weed, PLEASE pull it! Oh, and thanks to Lisa for hosting such an enjoyable event!


Let's begin our tour with the newest thing added to my garden, this lovely "Garden" box I purchased at a quaint, little store here in our town. I've added some plants (not sure what they are) and they are thriving nicely and greeting all who come to visit.




When I was taking these photos, my son, D-Man, wanted to make sure that I got a picture of his sunflowers. These were planted at Easter from a Veggie Tales garden pack in hopes that we could produce some beautiful sunflowers. I am sad to note, however, that since this photo was taken, the grasshoppers have official taken over the D-House flowerpot and the sunflowers look like skinny green men.




I was too sad to snap a photo, so you will just have to envision the green men. Work with me, people.

Here's the flowerbed that flanks our driveway and that is filled with seasonal flowers. The amaryllis is blooming and I just love the red color it radiates. The mums in this bed are also coming out nicely and look for them to bloom very soon.

Next are three of my favorite trees. The first two are two different varieties of Japanese maples. And the last is a dogwood that when in bloom just melts your heart.







Nice shadow, don't you think...it comes free with the tour.



Here's a new addition to our landscaping that Husband and D-Man worked tirelessly on to create a natural-water-washing barrier...in other words, our lot slopes and this keeps the mulch in (now why couldn't I have just said that in the first place, huh?)

It has really made a nice addition to the bed and we even had D-Man's 3-year old photos taken on it.

And here is one of the most important items in our garden, our "Go HOGS" stone. Can you guess who we root for?
And finally, let's end on a colorful note (since we really have little color to talk about...remember, we are working on that), here are some beautiful blooms on a bush I don't know the name of. I'm very technical, I know.

I hope you enjoyed the tour and I invite you to visit By His Grace anytime. Thanks again to The Preacher's Wife a.k.a Lisa for hosting such a fun event. Check out her site for other great gardens to tour.

post signature

21 comments:

Erin said...

Looks fabulous!

Jackie said...

Lovely yard! Your amaryllis is absolutely gorgeous.

Becky said...

The best part for me was that "Go Hogs" stone!!! Just a reminder of home. Thanks

Keepin' It Real said...

Your yard is so beautiful. You and husband definitly have a knack for producing beautiful landscape. As far as the edible garden, we have plenty to go around! Love you

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Beautiful ~ I love it all.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Your yard looks wonderful! Your hard work as paid off for sure.....

Fran said...

Well..I have to chime in and say "GO HOGS GO!" Grew up in AR but now live in TN. Always a Hog fan though.

And...I love those big trees you have. BEAUTIFUL.

You have a fabulous yard and I'd come hang out there anytime. I have me a D man too...I'll bring him. :)

Blessings,
Fran

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love the Go Hogs! stone the best. We're going to Arkansas next month to visit family and I think I need to find some of those stones to give as gifts!

Christie said...

Your yard is beautiful. I wish the pictures would inspire me, but I am not a "yard" person and neither is my hubby other than he likes to spend endless hours cutting, weedeating and edging the lawn.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Landscaping!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

That purple maple is absolutely stunning..

And loved your description of the mulch protection device...!! :)))

Sheryl said...

Great job. And your unknown bush is a "rose of sharon". One of my favorites and also another name for Jesus.

-Sheryl

Anonymous said...

Your yard looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

RR Mama said...

Looks Great! Your beautiful blooms you didn't know the name for are Hibscus. They are one of my favorites! Thanks for showing of your yard.

Tami@ourhouse said...

Great photos. Our amaryllis faded about two weeks ago. I've never had one of those and it was such a great surprise to see it pop up. I had to have someone else identify if for me.

Your yard is beautiful. That was fun!

Trudy said...

Your 'garden' plantings are very charming. I never know what to put together - you did a great job. Also, love your walkway around the tree with the stunning amaryllis.

Queen B said...

It is all so pretty. I love the driveway bed. You have done a lot of work and it is paying off!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tour! I'm totally in love with the purple maple. I might have to look it up and see how it'll do in my neck of the woods.

Nikki said...

Loved that Japanese Maple. It looked purple to me, is it? I just love purple.

You have a great looking yard. Thanks for sharing with us.

windycorner said...

I'll bet that rock will become a landmark in your life with it popping up in pictures for years to come. Love the Rose Of Sharon.
Holley

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so beautiful! I love the "Garden" box. We've never had much luck with sunflowers, but we do have an edible garden and the tomatoes are delicious!