Monday, October 29, 2007

Enemies

I spent this weekend on the road back and forth between my home and the city I used to live in. I made the trip there and back 3 times, leaving lots of time in the car to think (about the world, my life, my family and those around me). I heard a commercial on the radio station I was listening to on Sunday that gave me and idea for this post; do we or should we have enemies?

Sure, we've all been wronged by someone or something (family member, friend, acquaintance or circumstance). But, what do we do with the feelings we have once the situation has passed? Do we bottle them up inside only to have them explode at a later date? Do we continue to feel ill-will towards the person for the wrong that has been committed? Or do we forgive and forget and have mercy on the person involved? What would God have us do?

In Proverbs 24, verses 17 and 18, it says, "17 Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, 18 or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him." God wants us to help our enemy and not rejoice over their misfortune. He has proven time and time again how merciful He can be on us and wants us to live our lives in the same manner. How can we not follow His lead when He showed us the ultimate mercy by dying for our sins on the cross? Easier said than done, YES, but as a follower of him, we should strive daily to glorify him and live by his example.

God's way is not always the easiest way, but it is the RIGHT way for living a life here on this earth. My prayer for all of you (myself included) today is that God would give the mercy and grace that we each need to forgive those who have wronged us.

Dear Heavenly Father, We thank you today for the many blessings you bestow upon us each and everyday. I ask for a special dose of grace and mercy today that helps me forgive those who have wronged me and instead teach me how to help them rather than rejoicing over their misfortune. For it is your way and no others that I should follow today and always. Please forgive me of my sins and shortcomings. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

0 comments: