Monday, October 8, 2007

What about Marriage?

Husband and I made a trip into Louisiana this weekend to attend a wedding for a good friend from professional school. It was a much needed 3 day weekend for us and we very much enjoyed the company we had along the way (picked up a couple of friends halfway) and the friends we saw once we arrived. Much driving was done during these three days (12 hours total) and much conversation was made in reference to weddings. So, here goes my post for today.

Marriage, what does it really mean to couples today? Does the institution of marriage stand for the same things it stood for when our parents and grandparents were married? All questions that I've pondered all weekend and here is what I have to say about them. I hope and pray I don't step on anyone's toes with this and if I do, accept my apology up front. My intention is not to make anyone mad, I just want to talk about the subject.

Marriage is defined by Merriam-Webster Online as "the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law." I have heard of many people out there in today's society who feel it is ok not to legally marry just to satisfy the law. They feel that as long as they are married in their "hearts" then they are married. I don't feel that young couples today GET married to STAY married. It seems to me that there is always that out in there somewhere if the need arises.

So, what do you think? Is marriage still the same today as it was in yesteryears?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that most couple today go into marriage with the same commitment as years ago,simply because it is so much easier to get a divorce if things get too hard. I think that divorce is probably justified in some cases,but I don't think that love and commitment carry the same weight as it did years ago. There are those couples who do go in it for the right reasons and put the work into it that a marriage take. A good marriage is a fifty-fifty split,even though it may seem off-sides at times. It all has to balance out in the end.