Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Works for me: Dessert in a Flash


Ok, so I love me some sweets. Chocolate...my favorite. Anything dipped in chocolate...my favorite. Anything with chocolate in the recipe...probably my favorite.

So, on this the first Works-for-me Wednesday post of 2008, I thought I would give all of you out there my all time favorite cookie recipe (especially since I won't be eating any now that me and the girls have started our own "Eat Healthy" club--another post for another day).

The cookies are called No-Bake Cookies. One might also see them referred to as "Bird's Nest Cookies" or "Drop Cookies", but whatever you call them, you still don't have to bake them and you might reach your caloric intake for the week by just licking the spoon.
Now that sounds like my kind of cookie, what about you?

Anyway, the recipe is as follow:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk (I use skim to cut out fat and calories)
3 TBSP cocoa
1 stick of butter (yes, that's right, sounds like a Paula Deen recipe, huh?)

Combine all of the above in a pan, stirring occasionally until butter is melted. Allow the mixture to become a rolling boil.

At this point, some might pull out there candy thermometer and watch it get to some point on the stick (which I personally never do), so instead I use the very scientific method of counting to 60 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, etc) and then shutting off my burner.

Once the heat is turned off, add the following and stir:

1 cup peanut butter (I always use the reduced fat version)
3 cups Quick Oats
1 TSP vanilla

Once all is stirred together, drop onto aluminum foil or parchment paper and allow to cool.

Then, take the pan to the sink and lick as much as you can off the spoon and the pan before reaching the sink. Once at the sink, I recommend immediately putting the pan and the spoon under running hot water to prevent you from further blowing your calorie counter for the entire millennium.

For more great Works-for-me Wednesday tips, visit Shannon's site at Rocks in my Dryer!

12 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh my goodness this is my all time favorite! I lost this page in my favorite recipe book of cookies when we moved and have not found it. All the other recipes I have found were just a little different but THIS ONE IS THE EXACT ONE! Praise the Lord!

I am so excited! They are the best and goodness my children love them!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Phyllis Sommer said...

this sounds yummy! i also posted a cookie recipe this week....

Keepin' It Real said...

Yes,we made lots of these cookies when my daughter was little. I also liked to add coconut along with or in place of the oatmeal. Yummmm!!!!

Anonymous said...

These are one of my FAVORITES as well. My sister made these for Christmas this year. It was also the recipe I asked for when my family was putting together a recipe book for me.

Queen Mother said...

Yum!! Thanks for the recipe. I made these years ago but had forgotten about them.

Katz said...

i LOVE no-bake cookies! i haven't had them for a very long time. that's probably a good thing.

The Daileys said...

Thanks! I have been looking for this recipe ;) my eldest son cannot have sugar due to a bipolar restrictive diet and so I substituted 1 cup of Splenda for the 2 cups of sugar and it was just right! Have you added chow mein noodles to this before? I love them that way too.

Lisa said...

Those sound delicious! I'm going to give them a try.

Anonymous said...

Is this as easy as you make it out to be or will I find myself flummoxed about halfway through the recipe??

Queen B said...

Sounds so good! You can make them for me anytime!!!

Heather said...

Oh, mercy, these look good. And I'm all about some chocolate!!!
Thanks for posting this, Amy!

Jeni said...

Thanks for posting this link in your blog party post. I remember loving these as a kid, but never had a recipe for them! Thanks!